Doctor Drivel

Default Immersion heater threading

"Matt" aka Lord Hall wrote in message
"Doctor Drivel" wrote:

"Andy Hall" aka Matt wrote in message
.. .

The heater should come with a fibre sealing washer, but some sealant
such as Boss White or equivalent is needed for the threads.

More amateur tripe. Appalling.

You put NO compound on the thread. The immersion is supposed to have none
whatsoever. Just clean the surfaces and tighten the immersion. The fibre
washer may initially weep. But as it absorbs water it will expand making
the seal. Try this first. If still a leak after the system has heated

up,
take it off and then lightly smear compound on both edges of the washer.
Putting compound on the thread with act like glue and weld it in, in

time,
making some of them near impossible to remove.

Dribble, I agree. The last time I fitted one I used a smear of Loctite
instant gasket maker on both faces of the fibre washer and a few wraps
of PTFE on the threads. It sealed first time.

Lord Hall, nice to know you got it right first time.

I'm not Lord Hall by the way. I'm M A T T get it?

Lord Hall, that is nice to know.