Steve Gouldstone

Default Immersion heater threading

My hot water tank has wiring for an immersion heater, but one isn't
fitted. The tank, I would guess is about 20 years old.

Is the fitting standard - ie can I just buy an immersion heater and be
sure it will fit?

Thanks

Brian Sharrock

"Steve Gouldstone" wrote in message
My hot water tank has wiring for an immersion heater, but one isn't
fitted. The tank, I would guess is about 20 years old.

Is the fitting standard - ie can I just buy an immersion heater and be
sure it will fit?

Thanks

I don't understand what you've written: - "wiring for ... "
but "is not fitted ... ".
A hot water cylinder - 20 years old may be 'naked'
copper with an external insulation blanket or foamed
insulation clad - should have a large boss on the top
for accepting an immersion heater. The immersion heater
assembly should fit directly into, and replace, the boss.
From what you've said - you should see a big nut
hexagon on the top of your cylinder.
Immersion heaters usually, when fitted have a cylindrical
'can' -all those I've encountered have been black -
normally secured by a knurled nut off-centre within the
'can'. 'Wiring' normally makes contacts with terminals
under the can. It's fitted on an installation -specific
basis to the feed/source of the 'immersion heater' supply.

Where does your 'wiring for ..' start and finish?
what is on the hot-water cylinder top?

--

Brian

Steve Gouldstone

Thanks for reply Brian.

"Brian Sharrock" wrote:
"Steve Gouldstone" wrote in message
.. .
My hot water tank has wiring for an immersion heater, but one isn't
fitted. The tank, I would guess is about 20 years old.

I don't understand what you've written: - "wiring for ... "
but "is not fitted ... ".

A hot water cylinder - 20 years old may be 'naked'
copper with an external insulation blanket or foamed
insulation clad - should have a large boss on the top
for accepting an immersion heater. The immersion heater
assembly should fit directly into, and replace, the boss.
From what you've said - you should see a big nut
hexagon on the top of your cylinder.

Yes I see a big hexagon nut near the top at about 11:30 o'clock which
fits this description of a boss.

Immersion heaters usually, when fitted have a cylindrical
'can' -all those I've encountered have been black -
normally secured by a knurled nut off-centre within the
'can'. 'Wiring' normally makes contacts with terminals
under the can. It's fitted on an installation -specific
basis to the feed/source of the 'immersion heater' supply.

Where does your 'wiring for ..' start and finish?
what is on the hot-water cylinder top?

Sorry, I could have been clearer. There is a mains wire going into the
airing cupboard, but it terminates in a thermostat attached to the
outside of the tank. There is no output cable from the thermostat.
Presumably this is meant to continue on to an immersion heater?

The nut on the boss is slightly bigger than my biggest spanner, so
I've not tried to remove it, also I don't want to introduce a chance
of a leak until I've got a fair idea I can just put an immersion
heater in there.

Steve
sPoNiX

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 10:05:08 GMT, "Brian Sharrock"
wrote:

I don't understand what you've written: - "wiring for ... "
but "is not fitted ... ".

Presumably there is a fused spur next to the tank but no immersion
heater fitted, ie a blanking plug.

sponix
sPoNiX

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 10:26:20 +0000, Steve Gouldstone
wrote:

Sorry, I could have been clearer. There is a mains wire going into the
airing cupboard, but it terminates in a thermostat attached to the
outside of the tank. There is no output cable from the thermostat.
Presumably this is meant to continue on to an immersion heater?

More likely than not that is a cylinder stat that controls the boiler.

Immersion heaters normall have a built in thermostat-all they need is
mains power.

sponix

Andy Hall

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 09:45:54 +0000, Steve Gouldstone
wrote:

My hot water tank has wiring for an immersion heater, but one isn't
fitted. The tank, I would guess is about 20 years old.

Is the fitting standard - ie can I just buy an immersion heater and be
sure it will fit?

Thanks

Yes they are as long as there is a removable plug. You will need an
immersion heater spanner.

Tip: It is safer to undo the plug using the spanner and tapping it,
than to pull the spanner continuously. The copper is less likely to
distort.

The heater should come with a fibre sealing washer, but some sealant
such as Boss White or equivalent is needed for the threads.

--

..andy

Brian Sharrock

"Steve Gouldstone" wrote in message
news
Thanks for reply Brian.

"Brian Sharrock" wrote:
"Steve Gouldstone" wrote in message
. ..
My hot water tank has wiring for an immersion heater, but one isn't
fitted. The tank, I would guess is about 20 years old.

I don't understand what you've written: - "wiring for ... "
but "is not fitted ... ".

A hot water cylinder - 20 years old may be 'naked'
copper with an external insulation blanket or foamed
insulation clad - should have a large boss on the top
for accepting an immersion heater. The immersion heater
assembly should fit directly into, and replace, the boss.
From what you've said - you should see a big nut
hexagon on the top of your cylinder.

Yes I see a big hexagon nut near the top at about 11:30 o'clock which
fits this description of a boss.

I'm answering this _and only this _ point. What you see
is the blanking plug for the immersion heater. That hexagon
plug/boss is stopping water (hot) from pouring out of the
top of the cylinder.

Immersion heaters usually, when fitted have a cylindrical
'can' -all those I've encountered have been black -
normally secured by a knurled nut off-centre within the
'can'. 'Wiring' normally makes contacts with terminals
under the can. It's fitted on an installation -specific
basis to the feed/source of the 'immersion heater' supply.

Where does your 'wiring for ..' start and finish?
what is on the hot-water cylinder top?

Sorry, I could have been clearer. There is a mains wire going into the
airing cupboard, but it terminates in a thermostat attached to the
outside of the tank. There is no output cable from the thermostat.
Presumably this is meant to continue on to an immersion heater?

It ain't neccessarily so: - immersion heater _assemblies_
screw into the aperture we've decribed above, making a
water tight seal. The assembly contains one or two
elements each froming a 'U' shape [there can be a top-up
heater and a longer full-cyclinder heater] on top of the assembly
can usually be found a knob with an arrow pointing to a demand
temperature for the heated water- this is sensed by a thermo-couple
which itself is a long thin sensor fitting into a tube penetrating
through the heating elements. In other words, the heating-sensing
thermostat is contained within the 'Immersion Heater' assemby.

An external clamped thermostat is _usually_ indicative of
a boiler supplied heating system - in this case the thermostat
is telling the boiler to cease producing heat for the water.
You _may_ be looking at a 'wire' coming from and returning
to the boiler. It may not be the 'mains wire' that you think;
although it _may_ be switching 'mains' in a similar fashion to
a light switch. Be very careful when examing this cable,
dependant on the boiler control circuitry it may be at
mains voltage ... and probably changes dependant on whether
your boiler is 'ON' 'OFF' CH HW or CH+HW ....

The nut on the boss is slightly bigger than my biggest spanner, so
I've not tried to remove it, also I don't want to introduce a chance
of a leak until I've got a fair idea I can just put an immersion
heater in there.

'Immersion spanners' are quite cheap and have only one use ....
they can usually be found in the sheds adjacent to the cylinders
in the plumbing sections. They are big hex cut-outs from cheapish
metal usually with a shortish cranked handle. They're not pretty;
but necessary.

What you _will need is an electrical feed for the immersion heater,
Locating, and routing for such a service is IMHO beyond the scope
of this post.

--

Brian

Steve Gouldstone

wrote:
My hot water tank has wiring for an immersion heater, but one isn't
fitted. The tank, I would guess is about 20 years old.

Is the fitting standard - ie can I just buy an immersion heater and be
sure it will fit?

Yes I think the little thermostat 'is' something to do with the
central heating, nothing to do with the immersion heater, I will leave
well alone.

There is a separate power supply in the airing cupboard with it's own
fusebox switch (next to the electricity consumer unit) marked 'shower'
(though no shower was ever fitted). This is a pretty hefty cable.

I think I could use this for an immersion heater. I will get someonje
in to look at it I think.

Thanks for all help.
Set Square

wrote:
My hot water tank has wiring for an immersion heater, but one isn't
fitted. The tank, I would guess is about 20 years old.

Is the fitting standard - ie can I just buy an immersion heater and
be sure it will fit?

Yes I think the little thermostat 'is' something to do with the
central heating, nothing to do with the immersion heater, I will leave
well alone.

There is a separate power supply in the airing cupboard with it's own
fusebox switch (next to the electricity consumer unit) marked 'shower'
(though no shower was ever fitted). This is a pretty hefty cable.

I think I could use this for an immersion heater. I will get someonje
in to look at it I think.

Thanks for all help.

How is your water currently heated, and why do you want an immersion heater?

Mine is heated by my gas central heating boiler - even in summer when the
heating is off - and the immersion heater is used only in emergencies. If I
didn't happen to have one, I don't think I'd suddenly be fitting one.

If the blanking plug has been in the cylinder for 20 years, it's going to be
a s*d to remove - and you may well end up scrapping the cylinder in the
process. [It's probably time for a new - fast recovery - model anyway!]
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Steve Gouldstone

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 15:51:20 -0000, "Set Square"
wrote:
How is your water currently heated, and why do you want an immersion heater?

Mine is heated by my gas central heating boiler - even in summer when the
heating is off - and the immersion heater is used only in emergencies. If I
didn't happen to have one, I don't think I'd suddenly be fitting one.

If the blanking plug has been in the cylinder for 20 years, it's going to be
a s*d to remove - and you may well end up scrapping the cylinder in the
process. [It's probably time for a new - fast recovery - model anyway!]

Because my boiler has just died and I have no hot water, I see an
immersion heater as a good temporary measure to get hot water for a
few weeks while the CH system is replaced. I'll probably be getting a
combi boiler, so the tank will be thrown away anyway.

Set Square

wrote:
How is your water currently heated, and why do you want an immersion
heater?

Mine is heated by my gas central heating boiler - even in summer
when the heating is off - and the immersion heater is used only in
emergencies. If I didn't happen to have one, I don't think I'd
suddenly be fitting one.

If the blanking plug has been in the cylinder for 20 years, it's
going to be a s*d to remove - and you may well end up scrapping the
cylinder in the process. [It's probably time for a new - fast
recovery - model anyway!]

Because my boiler has just died and I have no hot water, I see an
immersion heater as a good temporary measure to get hot water for a
few weeks while the CH system is replaced. I'll probably be getting a
combi boiler, so the tank will be thrown away anyway.

Fair enough - your emergency has already happened!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Matt

"Set Square" wrote:

Steve Gouldstone wrote:

Because my boiler has just died and I have no hot water, I see an
immersion heater as a good temporary measure to get hot water for a
few weeks while the CH system is replaced. I'll probably be getting a
combi boiler, so the tank will be thrown away anyway.

Fair enough - your emergency has already happened!

......and the disaster of a combi boiler is to follow along shortly :-)

Junior Member

Location: Berkshire
Smile

Not much to add but when you buy the heater, make sure it is for vertical use and not too long. Your tank will have a calorifier inside so you need to shine a torch inside the tank to check how long a heater you can use. Has to be short enough not to foul the calorifier.
If there is an electical 'spur' it should be 13 A which is enough for a standard 2.5 - 3.0 kW heater. Use proper heat resistant flex of at least 15 A capacity and if there isn't a swirch, put one in and make sure that is also 15A.
Finally, if you aren't absolutely certain you can cope with all that, don't even go there, buy yourself a qualified electician. Don't become an inadvertent 'Live wire!!!

Docusk
Set Square

Matt wrote:

"Set Square" wrote:

Steve Gouldstone wrote:

Because my boiler has just died and I have no hot water, I see an
immersion heater as a good temporary measure to get hot water for a
few weeks while the CH system is replaced. I'll probably be getting
a combi boiler, so the tank will be thrown away anyway.

Fair enough - your emergency has already happened!

.....and the disaster of a combi boiler is to follow along shortly :-)

Ah - that'll need a new thread - but I agree!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

John

wrote:

My hot water tank has wiring for an immersion heater, but one isn't
fitted. The tank, I would guess is about 20 years old.

Is the fitting standard - ie can I just buy an immersion heater and be
sure it will fit?

Thanks

Yes they are as long as there is a removable plug. You will need an
immersion heater spanner.

Tip: It is safer to undo the plug using the spanner and tapping it,
than to pull the spanner continuously. The copper is less likely to
distort.

The heater should come with a fibre sealing washer, but some sealant
such as Boss White or equivalent is needed for the threads.

NOT on the threads Andy - it sets like concrete! With an immersion heater
the seal is between the flat face of the immersion and the face of the
cylinder boss where the fibre joint is located. A light smear of compound on
these faces to assist the fibre joint is all that should be required. I put
a couple of turns of PTFE on the threads not as a seal but as a lubricant so
the immersion can be removed later if required, without destroying the
cylinder

Richard Conway

wrote:

[...]

I did mine a few weeks ago with no compound at all - with a few turns of
PTFE for the same reason you used it.
Richard Conway

Set Square wrote:
Matt wrote:

"Set Square" wrote:

Steve Gouldstone wrote:

Because my boiler has just died and I have no hot water, I see an
immersion heater as a good temporary measure to get hot water for a
few weeks while the CH system is replaced. I'll probably be getting
a combi boiler, so the tank will be thrown away anyway.

Fair enough - your emergency has already happened!

.....and the disaster of a combi boiler is to follow along shortly :-)

Ah - that'll need a new thread - but I agree!

I think there are plenty enough threads on that topic - it being covered
here on a weekly basis!
Doctor Drivel

wrote:

My hot water tank has wiring for an immersion heater, but one isn't
fitted. The tank, I would guess is about 20 years old.

Is the fitting standard - ie can I just buy an immersion heater and be
sure it will fit?

Thanks

Yes they are as long as there is a removable plug. You will need an
immersion heater spanner.

Tip: It is safer to undo the plug using the spanner and tapping it,
than to pull the spanner continuously. The copper is less likely to
distort.

The heater should come with a fibre sealing washer, but some sealant
such as Boss White or equivalent is needed for the threads.

More amateur tripe. Appalling.

You put NO compound on the thread. The immersion is supposed to have none
whatsoever. Just clean the surfaces and tighten the immersion. The fibre
washer may initially weep. But as it absorbs water it will expand making
the seal. Try this first. If still a leak after the system has heated up,
take it off and then lightly smear compound on both edges of the washer.
Putting compound on the thread with act like glue and weld it in, in time,
making some of them near impossible to remove.

wrote:

[...]

Halleluiah! I've seen the light! Drivel said something sensible!

What is your bidding, Oh great one?

Doctor Drivel

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:

[...]

I doubt that. You appear beyond redemption.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
The heater should come with a fibre sealing washer, but some sealant
such as Boss White or equivalent is needed for the threads.

More amateur tripe. Appalling.

You put NO compound on the thread. The immersion is supposed to have
none whatsoever. Just clean the surfaces and tighten the immersion. The
fibre washer may initially weep. But as it absorbs water it will expand
making the seal. Try this first. If still a leak after the system has
heated up, take it off and then lightly smear compound on both edges of
the washer.

Great way to do things. If it doesn't work, try again. Like hack sawing
through plastic pipe.

Remind us once again how you earn a living? But obviously with no repeat
customers?

Putting compound on the thread with act like glue and weld it in, in
time, making some of them near impossible to remove.

Love the 'compound' bit. Anyone with more than one brain cell would name
the product on a DIY group.

--
*Many hamsters only blink one eye at a time *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Matt

"Doctor Drivel" wrote:

"Andy Hall" who is not Matt wrote in message
.. .

The heater should come with a fibre sealing washer, but some sealant
such as Boss White or equivalent is needed for the threads.

More amateur tripe. Appalling.

You put NO compound on the thread. The immersion is supposed to have none
whatsoever. Just clean the surfaces and tighten the immersion. The fibre
washer may initially weep. But as it absorbs water it will expand making
the seal. Try this first. If still a leak after the system has heated up,
take it off and then lightly smear compound on both edges of the washer.
Putting compound on the thread with act like glue and weld it in, in time,
making some of them near impossible to remove.

Dribble, I agree. The last time I fitted one I used a smear of Loctite
instant gasket maker on both faces of the fibre washer and a few wraps
of PTFE on the threads. It sealed first time.

I'm not Lord Hall by the way. I'm M A T T get it?

Set Square

Matt wrote:

Dribble, I agree. The last time I fitted one I used a smear of Loctite
instant gasket maker on both faces of the fibre washer and a few wraps
of PTFE on the threads. It sealed first time.

I'm not Lord Hall by the way. I'm M A T T get it?

Dribble gets you mixed up - because he can't conceive that there could
possibly be *two* (or more!) people who consistently rubbish his ramblings!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Doctor Drivel

"Dave Plowman (News)" through a haze of senile
flatulence wrote in message ...
In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
The heater should come with a fibre sealing washer, but some sealant
such as Boss White or equivalent is needed for the threads.

More amateur tripe. Appalling.

You put NO compound on the thread. The immersion is supposed to have
none whatsoever. Just clean the surfaces and tighten the immersion. The
fibre washer may initially weep. But as it absorbs water it will expand
making the seal. Try this first. If still a leak after the system has
heated up, take it off and then lightly smear compound on both edges of
the washer.

Great way to do things.

Of course.

snip senility

Doctor Drivel

"Matt" aka Lord Hall wrote in message
"Doctor Drivel" wrote:

[...]

Lord Hall, nice to know you got it right first time.

I'm not Lord Hall by the way. I'm M A T T get it?

Lord Hall, that is nice to know.

Kaiser

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
[...]

So what name would you give it then?

Matt

"Set Square" wrote:

Matt wrote:

Dribble, I agree. The last time I fitted one I used a smear of Loctite
instant gasket maker on both faces of the fibre washer and a few wraps
of PTFE on the threads. It sealed first time.

I'm not Lord Hall by the way. I'm M A T T get it?

Dribble gets you mixed up - because he can't conceive that there could
possibly be *two* (or more!) people who consistently rubbish his ramblings!

Apart from having a mildly similar taste in preferring good tools to
cheapies, I cannot understand how the hell he could mix us up!

Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel wrote:

[...]

The senile one would call it Arthur.

Andy Hall

On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 22:11:10 +0000, Matt
wrote:

"Set Square" wrote:

Matt wrote:

Dribble, I agree. The last time I fitted one I used a smear of Loctite
instant gasket maker on both faces of the fibre washer and a few wraps
of PTFE on the threads. It sealed first time.

I'm not Lord Hall by the way. I'm M A T T get it?

Dribble gets you mixed up - because he can't conceive that there could
possibly be *two* (or more!) people who consistently rubbish his ramblings!

Apart from having a mildly similar taste in preferring good tools to
cheapies, I cannot understand how the hell he could mix us up!

I know. Beats me as well. Well actually I do understand. He
spends so much time trying to run his alter egos, finding it difficult
and not succeeding very well that he assumes that everybody else is
doing the same thing.

I guess it's a form of paranoia....

--

..andy

Andy Hall

On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 00:10:38 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

Maxie, I was in Costo in Watford today. Great tellies there.

How did you qualify for a card?

--

..andy

Bob Eager

wrote:

Maxie, I was in Costo in Watford today. Great tellies there.

How did you qualify for a card?

He probably got a visitor pass ... he can't actually buy anything!