Rick

Default heat resistant board?

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 23:41:33 +0000, Andy Hall
wrote:

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 20:40:23 GMT, "Bob Minchin"
wrote:

Jim Walsh wrote in message ...
I'm going to install a gas fire in the next couple of weeks. The
existing fireplace is quite large and I need to fit some kind of board
over it, leaving a cavity just large enough to mount the fire. What is
the best material to use for this and who sells it?

Years ago whilst assisting my dad in doing a similar job, we used a
rigid, mineral (non asbestos) composite board that was resistant to high
temperatures. I can't recall where this came from. Any pointers?

Best regards, Jim

Masterboard?

Bob

Knauf fire resistant board is another, and seems easier to obtain.

You sure you can put this board close to a heat source ? If its like
plasterboard, it will have a paper outside coating. Some of these
boards are designed to be heated once - when your hours burns down, to
give time for escape to be undertaken.

Rick