Tom Nie

Default Please to remember the fifth of November.

Bruce,

Greg's answer is correct but in fairness to anyone watching I have to insist
that while NC is not upper Michigan it's temperatures dropping to single
digits is not exactly southern Florida either.

Point being the total utility costs USING THE NEWEST heat pumps. That's
critical because the old ones would break the bank. That's where they got a
BAD reputation. And if you're in an area that uses central air conditioning
commonly, it becomes a real easy decision.

As I listen to the utility bills in my area I love my system. Also, since
I've moved to the country I hear screams over the cost of propane since
natural gas isn't available. A good, honest HVAC company instead of the
common bull..t artists makes a real difference. I use a 250 gal. propane
tank for my kitchen cooktop, the fireplace log starter, my deck grill, and
maybe a future garage or downstairs(daylight basement) heater. That way I
can refill in the summer instead of winter prices.

I've no log in this fire (no pun intended) but to share what might help
someone else. I always swore natural gas and you hear me now.

TomNie

"Bruce Ferguson" wrote in message
I will ask, what is a heat pump??? I understand furnace, wall heater,
fireplace and stove but don't know "heat pump"

Bruce
"Tom Nie" wrote in message
Robert,

I thought that direction, too. Around here and from what I could find on
the internet one of the true heaters would cost a ton (fireplace type).
Even one of the factory techs told me to just go with a regular wbfp
instead of paying for the simple fan type (true heater different story).

Then decided to grab a Home Depot special at Spring time. Bonafide wood
stove that I'd put in the basement. I'd done that before in a Raised
Ranch in Boston that I had built - worked great. Then I found out what
stainless steel chimneys up the outside of an existent two-story cost!!!
No bargain there and would have to stick up something fierce above the
gutter line to meet code at the roof. Ugly as hell, too.

Finally gave up and returned the wood stove. Just use a big fireplace and
the heat pump.

TomNie

wrote in message
ups.com...
Greg G.:

Why don't you put a nice wood stove in your family TV room? I am
seeing more of that here, and they are making nicer stoves again,
probably due as a response to the last few years of our northern
neighbors getting their eyeballs screwed out of their heads by greedy
companies.

I am in South Texas, and it rarely gets below the teens here, and it
snows little flakes about once every five years. But we have a lot of
those 40 (+/- 5 degrees) degree days where it rains constantly. Nasty,
miserable, weather with the rain.

The newer designer stoves even look nice. Some come with air
circulators, and some are even meant to be built in for that "hey this
was on purpose" look. I am thinking that some of the ones I have seen
would pay for themselves pretty well in the second year. The cheapies
even sooner.

Just a thought.

robert