Doctor Drivel

Default Immersion heater threading

wrote in message
oups.com...

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Andy Hall" aka Matt wrote in message
On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 09:45:54 +0000, Steve Gouldstone
wrote:

My hot water tank has wiring for an immersion heater, but one isn't
fitted. The tank, I would guess is about 20 years old.

Is the fitting standard - ie can I just buy an immersion heater and

be
sure it will fit?

Thanks

Yes they are as long as there is a removable plug. You will need an
immersion heater spanner.

Tip: It is safer to undo the plug using the spanner and tapping it,
than to pull the spanner continuously. The copper is less likely to
distort.

The heater should come with a fibre sealing washer, but some sealant
such as Boss White or equivalent is needed for the threads.

More amateur tripe. Appalling.

You put NO compound on the thread. The immersion is supposed to have

none
whatsoever. Just clean the surfaces and tighten the immersion. The

fibre
washer may initially weep. But as it absorbs water it will expand

making
the seal. Try this first. If still a leak after the system has heated

up,
take it off and then lightly smear compound on both edges of the washer.
Putting compound on the thread with act like glue and weld it in, in

time,
making some of them near impossible to remove.

Halleluiah! I've seen the light!

I doubt that. You appear beyond redemption.