mm

Default dishwasher install

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 11:28:09 -0800, "SJF" wrote:

I was befuddled. I finally found a little chicken bone, the one
that's next to the chicken leg bone, in the air gap. Took it out and
the dishwasher worked fine. I have no idea why.

(This is not a reason not to have an airgap. Just a story about one.)

Well, an air gap is a potential source of blockages which will disable the
dishwasher. Instructions that came with our unit suggest that the airgap
device must be able to pass a 3/8 inch ball to MINIMIZE drain line

I should have said that I only had the small end of that bone,
substantially less than 3/8th's. Of course maybe something else is
different bettween yours and mine, but it seemed small in comparison
to the whole hole.

blockages.

I cleared a drain line blockage for my daughter-in-law by removing the cap
on her airgap unit and removing some fibrous food residue -- so it does
happen, though not very often.

Yeah, that sounds like what happened to me. next time I'll check the
air gap early in the process.

A new dishwasher should provide adequate installation instructions covering
these details. Incidentally, to quote from mine --

"If an air gap is not code required, the drain hose must have a high drain

So it is called an air gap, not an air cap.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.