spaco

Default How Hard is Brass CDA 360?? and Related Questions

Go to an electric motor repair shop. They may already have what you
want, or very close. I agree with everything the other poster said.
Also, you would never use sandpaper to size the working surface of a
bearing. Abrasives will be trapped in the material and they will
degrade the shaft quickly.

Pete Stanaitis
------------------

JWho wrote:
Hi. I am thinking about buying a 1" solid, round bar of what is labelled as
CDA 360 brass. How hard/tough is this material to cut, sand or drill?

I need it to be about 0.988" outer diameter, so I am wondering if I can just
use sandpaper to take some of the material off. Whatever the proper tool is
to do that, I don't have it, and I want to be able to do all this by myself.

I am also wanting to cut it into smaller cylinders. Can it be cut into
smaller pieces with a hacksaw? See above on tooling.

I am also wanting to drill a hole in the small cylinders, after I press them
into an aluminum piece with a hole. I am trying to make a sleeve/bushing
about .063" wall thickness. Will this drill bit drill through it (about 3/4
inches deep)?

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...&bidsite=CRAFT

What does "silver and deming" drill bit mean??

Does anyone know where to buy a decent priced 59/64" drill bit that will
drill through it? The final internal diameter needs to be 0.923", and that
is the closest drill bit size I think there is. I was just going to use
sandpaper to enlarge the hole a little bit from the 7/8" or 59/64" drill bit
hole.

I am assuming I need a drill press to do this properly, correct? How many
HP of a drill press will I need to buy? Here are two I am looking at:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...00&tab=spe#tab

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...cal=TOOL&cs=e1

Thank you for any advice. This place is chock full of experts, and I
appreciate everyone's help.