Pete C.

Default Lead part - cast or turn?

Dave Hinz wrote:

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 19:44:56 GMT, Pete C. wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:

Well, let's be realistic. Handling lead isn't going to make 'em start
twitching.

Drill holes in the underside of the body with a spade bit, and cast the
lead directly into them. Drill to reduce to legal weight.

I believe the "fixturing alloy" currently sold by MSC and Co. is lead
free.

And therefore significantly lighter. I'll repeat my statement that,
while lead is a hazard, it's certainly a manageable one. Overreacting
isn't the lesson to teach on this one - if anything, it's a great way to
teach "Yes, this could be a hazard, so to avoid problems we do (this,
that, the other)".

Dave Hinz

Wasn't my point though. I suggested it due to the very low melt temp
which should be more compatible with direct application to plastic
wheels. Lead free is just a side benefit.

Pete C.