Dave

Default Magnetic Indicator Stands

Robert Swinney wrote:
The correct device to use on a surface plate is the surface gage. Trying to
use a magnetically mounted device on a surface plate is asking for trouble.
Magnetic dial indicator holders aren't designed to be stable in the
non-magnetic condition. Without magnetic attaction they are unstable and
apt to be just plain wobbly. Personally, I am glad that mine is able to be
laid down so's I can put it away in a drawer.

The problem with a height gauge is that it doesn't have any reach. I'll
consider one of the larger mag bases that some have mentioned. Maybe
make a heavy steel base I can lock the mag base onto? Thanks.