Tom Miller

Default Chainsaw Usage Question From First Time Chainsaw User ?

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 13:18:32 -0500, "Patrick Cleburne" mgcleburne@csa
wrote:

| "Em" wrote in message
| m...
|
| I have a small chainsaw, and it's not powerful enough to kick back at all.
| The chain just jams. Of course, your experience may differ. But don't be
| quite as scared of the chainsaw as these posters are suggesting. Use a
| chainsaw in good working order with a sharp chain, keep your feet on the
| ground, cut so the wood doesn't pinch the chain, and you'll do fine.
| -B
|

| If it's powerful enough to cut a log, it's powerful enough to kick back!
|
| Pat

Man, that is so true. I have a little Stihl and it wants to kick back
under certain situations. I've never cut myself (yet) but I did wrench
my shoulder so bad that it took around three years, three trips to the
orthopedist, and six visits to the acupuncturist to get it to stop
aching.

I bought a logger's helmet to wear when I use mine. It is a regular
hard hat with sound-blocking earmuffs attached to it and a face screen
that pulls down (it's a real screen, not a clear plastic shield so it
doesn't fog up). Looks REAL dorky, but it offers all kinds of face,
ear, and head protection, and because it's easy to put on you are
actually inclined to use it. I got it from Northern.

Of course, this does nothing for leg protection. You need some sort of
chaps for that. I finally bought some a few years ago, and I hate 'em
but I wear 'em.

I've used chain saws off and on since I was about 16 and the biggest
problem I have found with my own use is that if I don't watch out I
get too focused on the cutting and watching the blade work. This is
not good, and I have to constantly remind myself to look around and
keep alert for shifting limbs, brush and blade hazards, as well as
keeping a solid footing and position when cutting. You have to sort of
"set up" the cuts before you start them. Maybe it's just me, but I
find it's oddly easy -- too easy -- to zone out running the thing and
just slice away at whatever branch or log is within reach. Next thing
I know, the bar is pinched inside a big branch or trunk, and the saw
stops abruptly (if I'm lucky).