DanG

Default Chainsaw Usage Question From First Time Chainsaw User ?

Robert,
If you've never used a chainsaw before and you are afraid of it,
you are scaring me too. Have a healthy respect for equipment, do
not be afraid of it. Always keep a firm grip on the saw, you need
to control it, not allow it be in control.

If you have limited saw experience, make sure that the piece that
is being cut off can fall to the ground. This may require
rolling, blocking, raising the limb and resting it on a piece of
log or other solid material. Be very cautious and keep a firm
grip if you are cutting off small branches and off-shoots. They
should be removed before sawing the main log.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

Have just bought a gas powered chainsaw to try and cut up a tree
trunk that
fell in my yard.
Not that large, but too much for a hand saw.

Have never used a chain saw before. Frankly, it scares the heck
out of me;
not looking forward to using it.

Anyway, have this question:

It's been raining a bit here.
Should the trunk be "totally" dry before trying to cut it up,
or, as the
rain water probably never
penetrates more than an inch or so, I would expect, it really
doesn't matter
?

Or, does it ?

Would there be more chance of a "kickback" if wet ?

What should I probably be asking ?

Any hints would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob