Charlie Self

Default Efficient security or Keystone Cops

Greg G. wrote:
Charlie Self said:

From an email, called Junk Mail from Bob:

Terrorists are Everywhere!

snip of remainder of ridiculous 'security' related stories

I'm waiting for paint to dry... so....

I swear, it's absurd. We spent over an hour languishing around the
San Francisco Airport last year because the snap in the better half's
bra set off a detector. I was pulled for a rivet on my tennis shoe.

Doesn't anyone actually calibrate these things?

[/RANT]

And to top it off, I don't think it makes us a darned bit safer - just
annoyed and inconvenienced. Just a show for the public - something to
put a scare into them, and then convince them that everything is all
right because Uncle Sam is watching out for you - it would help
considerably if Uncle would stop ****ing people off.

For that matter, you can make a weapon out of just about anything -
what then? Are we going to fly people around stark naked for fear
that they might conceal something? Hey, let's do cavity searches...

We cannot continue to walk in fear - and I think it would behoove some
to consider what the passenger of one plane did. I guarantee you the
next time somebody pulls something like that, they will ALL take out
the terrorist. They've been knocked from the pedestal of "it can't
happen here".

Inspections, yes - but this is... well... don't get me started.

[/RANT]

SWMBO flies WAY more than I am will to. I'm not particularly fond of
air travel. Yes, you get there fast, but what about all the neat
stuff you just dumped a bunch of carbon particles on and missed. And
some of those planes...

But every time she gets on a plane, I still worry.

I contend that the terrorists have won, because they have managed
(quite easily) to force major and costly changes in our lifestyles,
supposedly to keep them out. At the same time, this is of great benefit
to an adminstration devoted to jerking knots in the list of rights the
common man has access to, without really doing anything constructive to
either suppress terrorism, or keep down the entry of terrorists to the
U.S.

The aim is to keep the public fearful so that government actions to
"protect" us are gobbled up as necessities, though, in fact, none have
been very effective at all...at the moment, both major borders are
sieves, leaking illegal aliens to the south at an unprecedented rate,
with many of those who are caught being released within hours--no place
to hold 'em.

I don't know what the answers are, but it seems to me neither does the
government, while it also seems that the various governmental minions
are doing their damndest to make sure no one even knows what the
questions are.

One thing for su this week definitely demonstrates that George Bush
retains his worldwide level of appreciation from those in other
countries.