Tom Miller

Default Titanium

I've seen it done,but never done it myself. A
friend used to weld 10 mm I.D. titanium filling
tubes for a bleach bottle filler. When they were
damaged, he dropped them into a small open topped
tank which he consciously purged with argon before
and for a minute or two after tig welding them. He
used titanium filler rod,but I don't know where he
got it from. It was quite successful, and the
welds looked OK as well.
Tom

"Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote in message
Bicycle shops (design ones anyway) do it all of
the time.
Search for them on the net - maybe some hints.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
@ home at Lions' Lair with our computer
lionslair at consolidated dot net
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Dave Lyon wrote:
My employee wants to make a titanium roll cage
for his high performance
remote control monster truck. We have a good
185 amp tig welder, and he's
pretty good at using it. We are using argon as
a shield gas.

The problem is, we've never worked with
titanium before. Can it be Tig
welded? Can we use stainless rod, or should we
get something else. Is the
argon OK?

Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup
Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total
Privacy via Encryption =----