D Murphy

Default ANQOTD: Coolant or oil?

"Gil HASH" wrote in news:436d981a
:

Another Newbie's Question Of The Day

Hello all
After broken my piggy bank for a lathe and a mill (actually sailing on a
boat to reunion island) I have no more money for the magnificent coolant
tank and pump and I ask an another newbie question :
Can I do all metalworking without this item and how can I proceed?
Can I use manually some drops of special mix with water or entire oil?
What sort of oil?

You can just apply cutting oil to the tool and/or work with an acid brush.
Do a Google search on "cutting oil" and you should be able to find
something that you can get delivered to your location. Mobil comes to mind
as being available world-wide. It's as good as anything.

I would stay away from water soluble coolant for a manual machine with no
enclosure or coolant pump.

--

Dan