Brian Lawson

Default ANQOTD: Coolant or oil?

On Sun, 6 Nov 2005 09:43:49 +0400, "Gil HASH"
wrote:

Another Newbie's Question Of The Day

Hello all
After broken my piggy bank for a lathe and a mill (actually sailing on a
boat to reunion island) I have no more money for the magnificent coolant
tank and pump and I ask an another newbie question :
Can I do all metalworking without this item and how can I proceed?
Can I use manually some drops of special mix with water or entire oil?
What sort of oil?

Jean-Luc HOAREAU
Indian ocean

Hey Jean-Luc,

If the boat has not sailed yet, ask the shipper to send along a gallon
or so of un-diluted "water-soluble" cutting oil. You mix this with
plain water in about a 50:1 ratio, and apply the diluted as needed
only. Most lathe and milling work should not require coolant,
although that is totally a subjective decision per job. The mixture
can be applied in "squirts" from an old shampoo bottle or even a cheap
oil can, or from an old empty kitchen-cleaner spray bottle, spraying
directly to the cutter as you go.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.