Banty

Default New sink nightmare

In article . com,
says...

"The point, Banty, that we all have learned here is that we truly get
what we pay for. If we want cheap, that's perfectly fine as long as
we don't bitch about the consequences. If we want well done and
fabulous, we either have to pay good $$ or educate ourselves fully in
order to get that result. "

I don't see how cheap has anything to do with this situation. Price
didn't appear to be an issue when she chose the plumber to replace the
sink. I agree with the posters who now say it is the plumber's
responsibility to fix this correctly. He provided the sink. When he
removed the old one and determined that the new one had too small a rim
to cover the countertop properly, he should have stopped right there.
He could have taken the new sink back and very likely found other sinks
that have a slightly wider rim. Problem solved. Instead, he went
ahead and did a half assed job. And I think we've all seen people
charged all kinds of prices, both high and low for crap work.

If he hasn't damaged the sink, the best solution would appear to be for
him to return it and get the right one.

But sinks aren't standard, and counter tops are cut to fit the sink. It sounds
like she didn't get the sink, it came with the house. It's fairly unlikely that
the plumber could be expected to find a sink to fit right in. So he kludged it.
Maybe he wasn't quite on the up and up about the chances for success and what
kind of compromises may have needed to be made to try to just replace the sink.
But for several reasons I don't have full faith in the O.P's telling either.

Doing a cheap workaround sometimes isn't necessarily a *bad* thing. But you got
to accept that that's what it is.

I had a vinyl bathtub break (came with the house, only bathroom) and I knew I'd
want to upgrade the whole bathroom at some point, but couldnt' afford it at the
time. So I got the tub that I really wanted (cast iron) istalled, but had the
old surround tacked up around it. Real kludgy. Had to followup with duct tape
after about a year

But that's just IT - it's a *temporary fix*. No one got phreaky over needing to
patch it up a little more. About two and half years later when I could afford
it, the bathroom was fully remodeled with the bathtub there.

Maybe there should be a standard set of sink 'footprints'. To my knowledge,
there isnt'. Unless there is, without scads of luck, a replacement will be
non-ideal. And to do the job right means replacing everything that needs to
fit. A lot of things are like that.

If these things are more standard than I think, maybe I'm wrong. But in the
bathroom remod, and the kitchen remod coming up, the sink needs to be available
to get the counter cut.

Banty