Dave

Default Magnetic Indicator Stands

DeepDiver wrote:
[...]
I'm curious though: why *can't* you keep the "darned magnet turned on all
the time" (except when moving/repositioning the base, of course)? It's not
as if the magnet will wear out or lose strength. You suggested turning the
magnet half-on, so it appears as if you are still placing it on a magnetic
surface. Perhaps you'll find the answer you're seeking if you were to
explain the actual problem that you're having.

- Michael

Ok, I'm sliding it around on my table and it stands up because it is
pressing on the workpiece, then I set it aside and forget that the
contact pressure was keeping it upright, and it falls over. Maybe if I
could turn the magnet "half on" a metal surface would keep it upright
and still allow you to slide it. But not on a wooden bench or surface
plate. The larger dials make balance even worse and can be annoying to
use on a surface plate. Are lead bases perhaps used on surface plates?