joe2 joe2 is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg G.
joe2 said:

Greg - so, was the $250 savings worth (a) a peen’d motor spindle, (b) a
wonky tilt adjustment shaft, (c) no birth certificate (serial number),
(d) your 10-mile drive, (e) you having to unload and move around that
critter, (f) photocopy of a manual, and (g) no parts diagram? You were
told in your other thread you could get the same saw, BRAND NEW, with
the ext table and mobile base, delivered to your shop for only $250
more.

Well, to begin with, the price difference more like $300. There is no
mobile base included with either saw, I don't believe the saw they are
selling is the same saw, they are the older 36-830A, and your quote
doesn't include a portion of the packing/delivery charges (They are
giving you the heavy freight surcharge) or the time and aggravation of
shipping problems. (Although it now appears I didn't come out too well
on that aspect either.)

--- snip ---
(a) the diff is closer to $300, was $250 diff a month ago, (b) there is/was a mobile base included, 50-273 for the saw and 50-284 mobile extension base for the extension table, (c) don’t know exactly what model Unisaw I got. Printed on the cardboard cover is “for the 36-830L and 36-831L” and below that in big letters is “36-953”. The accompanying documentation all says 36-953. My saw’s serial number is 05G107xxx. Perhaps someone on the forum knows how to extrapolate the manf date from the serial number?!?, (d) there are NO PACKING AND DELIVER CHARGES. All over that web site is/was text indicating free shipping and delivery of any Unisaw. Don't know if it is still the same. However, as I noted in a previous post, there was something like a $13 booking fee I had to pay. So I guess you could say s&h was $13 TOTAL, (e) there are no shipping problems. You order your Unisaw, sit back, and a week later it shows up at your door. The shipper uses one of those pallet jacks to move it wherever you want it put, (f) I don’t believe WWS is a drop shipper, they have 3 retail store. They certainly aren't a drop shipper for Delta products. When I talked to them they specifically said they have regular delivery trucks running from Delta to one of three distribution points in the US. They told me they would prefer to drop ship the Unisaws because they sell so many of them, but Delta will not drop ship any products.

In business for three decades, Woodworker's Supply provides top quality woodworking tools, machinery, abrasives, adhesives, hardware, accessories and wood specialty products to customers, worldwide, from stores and distribution centers in Casper, Wyoming, Albuquerque, New Mexico, and Graham, North Carolina.

I don't have any particular like or dislike for WWS. It just happens they have/had the best price on a new Unisaw when I was buying, shipping cost considered. But that may change at any time. I did check locally and the same Unisaw was a few hundred bucks more, and state sales tax applies on top of that, and I would have to pay extra for someone to move it. I don’t mind paying a little extra to buy locally, but I won’t play the fool. I can’t see putting someone's kid thru college while trying to justify 'feeding my neighbors'. If they want to eat steak and lobster, the ‘neighbors’ need to consider a more competitive business model.

Ironically, the problems you had with your Unisaw purchase impress me as unjustified. That saw should never have been allowed to be sold, but it was … by the very neighbors you are trying to feed.