George E. Cawthon

Default dishwasher install

mm wrote:
On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 05:04:02 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

I would go with a Contractor, Maybe a Cabinet shop. Get As close as
possible to the sink You can run your water and waste behind the cab.The
water and waste are easy Put a angle stop with outlets on the Hot water. The
waste goes to a air cap on the sink and then to the Disposal.

I'm curious what is an air cap? My disposal hose
currently and on the previous disposal ran
directly to a fitting on the disposal. I just
finished fixing a sink for another person (leaks,
etc.) and the drain went directly to a fitting on
the sink drain pipe (just below the sinking basket
(not disposal).

I probably made a mistake just now when I called it an airgap.

An air cap is visible at the top of the sink, to the right usually of
the faucet. It appears as a chromer cap and is mounted in the hole
that might otherwise have held the soap bottle or the vegetable
sprayer.

You are WAY out of my league. I've never seen
such a thing. Heck I've never see a hole that
would hold a soap bottle. I've seen and have a
sprayer (doesn't have anything to do with
vegetables tho, suppose you could use if to spray
vegetable, but most use it to spray plates and
utensils.

The drain water of the dishwasher goes up there, and then down to the
disposal. It's pumped up there, and uses gravity to get to the
disposal. Like a water fountain bubbler. Since it's not a closed
tube, it can't siphon. I forget what direction the siphoning would go
in, but it has something to do with germs.

I can see how that would work, just never seen
one. Dish washers usually suggest that you route
the hose up as high as possible before attaching
to the drain or disposal. That essentially stops
siphoning. Course if you drain is plugged it
could siphon back to the washer if the water got
as high as the maximum height of the hose. But
then, you would have a lot more to worry about
than a few bacteria in your washer, which could
easily be killed by just running the washer anyway.

Ah me, what complicated things people think up.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.