Hugo Nebula

Default Part Q? Plumbing regs

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 08:58:28 GMT, a particular chimpanzee named
randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

"The government is moving towards extending self-certification across other
trades. From April 2006, competent persons will be required to
self-certificate [sic] plumbing work, including unvented cylinders, to meet
the compliance requirements of the Building Regulations. As /Gas Installer/
goes to press, we have yet to be informed of the complete criteria for
entry and how this competency may be measured."
(From CORGI's 'Gas Installer' magazine, November 2005 issue, just out.)

It's already a requirement to notify Building Control of any
installation of or alteration to drainage, and for the installation of
unvented hot water storage vessels. Water supply is covered by its
own set of regulations, although not controlled by Building Control.

There was a self-certification scheme available for the Institute of
Plumbers to install unvented hot water storage vessels and to work on
drainage, but it wasn't taken up, so it was repealed. Are CORGI
launching over a take-over bid for all plumbing work?

I've just looked on the ODPM website, and I can't see anything which
changes these positions.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed?"