mm

Default dishwasher install

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 21:54:49 -0800, Abe wrote:

Not all codes require an air gap at sinktop level.

Yes, but an air gap is good idea for 3 reasons:
1. It protects the dishwashers from sewage back-flow and contamination
in the drain line

2. It introduces air to the top most level in order to break the water
flow and to prevent siphoning in the drain line after the drain
period.

3. It gives the water somewhere to go if there is a blockage at the
disposer, which helps protect the dishwasher pump.

Relevant story: For a while my Kenmore dishwasher wouldn't drain.

All the hoses seemed clear, and somehow I decided the pump was
working.

I was befuddled. I finally found a little chicken bone, the one
that's next to the chicken leg bone, in the air gap. Took it out and
the dishwasher worked fine. I have no idea why.

(This is not a reason not to have an airgap. Just a story about one.)

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.