gb

Default The newer flat PS2 why are they all broken ?

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message

Check capacitors

Seems like that is always the answer to anything broken : )

Well reported in IEEE Spectrum 2002 ... and surprise an HP computer that
died (my nephews) had 12 bulging capacitors on the ABIT motherboard that HP
used in this AMD based computer. Both MicroCenter and an HP service center
could not figure it out (2 service trips) - so it sat in their basement -
until I asked about it on my last visit..

How did I diagnose? (eyes and nose - no I am not kidding)
Almost all of the green (Leton) capacitors on the motherboard were bulging
and 3 had actually burst ... while the Panasonic capacitors on the board
were fine.

It was a 4-layer board and after about one hour of bench time (removal of
bad capacitors, clean crude from burst capacitors and install new Panasonic
replacements) -- the computer booted right up and worked fine !
The power supply was okay -- shut down (self protect) when one capacitor had
failed as a short.

Want someone else to repair your board?
http://www.motherboardrepair.com/

gb