DoN. Nichols

Default What is it? LXXXVI

According to R.H. :
A new set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Again -- posting in rec.crafts.metalworking.

496) A collar which slides onto a shaft, and then clamps there by
tightening the Allen head cap screw visible in the notch on the
top left. It closes the slot somewhat, tightening the collar
onto the shaft.

The function is to keep the shaft from sliding relative to the
bearings in which it is mounted. There will likely be one of
these on either side of the bearing assembly -- or a shoulder on
the shaft on the other side of the bearing assembly.

Is that a groove turned in the face, or is this a two-part one,
with a collar to adapt it to a smaller shaft than it was
originally designed for?

497) An old blowtorch -- of the style designed to heat a soldering
copper (which rests with its shank in the notch just above the
flame output end, and the shank near the handle goes in the
'C'-shaped rest.

It is either kerosene or gasoline fueled, and the tank has to be
hand-pumped to higher pressure before it is started. Once it is
going, the heat vaporizes fuel in the tank and maintains the
pressure.

498) These look sort of like the clips used to support shelves, but
I don't think that this is right. Perhaps they are designed to
serve a function similar to glazier's points, except that they
will survive more side pressure, thanks to the bent "legs"?

499) Nasty looking device. Obviously for pulling something tight,
but I'm not sure what. If there were only two rows of spikes, I
might think a leather drive belt for a machine tool, to be laced
to the other end through the same holes.

500) You've made it half-way to 1000 now!

I think that this is a fire starter. You scrape a knife blade
along the black rod, and it shoots out sparks to light tender.
I think that it is flint, but I'm not sure.

The metal frame may also be an alloy which is easy to light in
thin shavings, so you shave it first to make the shavings, and
then turn it around to generate the sparks to light it off.
Perhaps magnesium?

501) With a longer wood handle and a sharper edge, I might consider
it to be a "flensing" knife used in stripping the blubber off of
a whale carcass back in the old days of whaling.

As it is, I have no idea on this one.

Now to see what others have guessed,

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564