Tom Wait

Default nuther BP head bolt question

"Jon Elson" wrote in message

Tom Wait wrote:

"Gunner" wrote Anyone need a 1J head, no
idea of whats wrong with it..looks to be all

there. Has a 1hp pancake motor on it...IRRC.

I'm desperateley seeking vertical capability at a bargain price. Can an
adapter be made to hang that head on a Hardinge TM-UM? How many sheckles

purchase?

You'd better consider the weight. Even a 1J head is plenty heavy. I

don't
know how big a Hardinge TM-UM is. But, a complete 1J must weigh close
to 200 Lbs. The main casting with the quill in it has got to weigh 100

Lbs,
then there's the belt housing and motor. The quill has about 5" travel,

so
you need to consider the optimum height to mount the head so you can
do small work fixtured on the table as well as larger work in a vise.
Depending on how much knee (or whatever design the machine uses for
Z table travel) movement you have, it could become a limitation.

Taking this big head on and off the machine to convert from vertical
to horizontal will require major disassembly or a shop crane. I can just
barely lift the motor myself, due to the height over the floor.
Handling the
main casting with the quill still in it is at the absolute limit of my

upper
body strength. With oil and swarf all over it, it gets to be a real
challenge.
This is compared to a 90 Lb 6" milling vise, which I whip up on the table
with just a little "oomf" sound.

Jon

A Bridgeport M head is a common addition to a Hardinge TM. In fact theres
one up for auction on Ebay all set to go on a Hardinge mill, but I'm afraid
the bids will go to the moon. Someone lucky SOB just won a Hardinge mill
with an M head on it for $310. It was in NY, to much frieght for my blood.
That's why I was curious about Gunners J head. I'm not savvy about the
various head designs Bridgeport offers. Just looking for information, and a
bargain.
Tom