HerHusband

Default Do you ever not bother with permits?

perform the work without permits if the project is 'small'.
Usually a dollar amount.

All Electrical work in my area is supposed to be permitted and inspected.
I've always gotten permits for new service installations, but for a simple
outlet addition, minor circuit modification, or "maintenance" (i.e.
replacing a light or outlet), I wouldn't waste my time or theirs. Of
course, I always make sure my work is up to code or better, regardless of
whether I obtain a permit.

As for building permits, our local building department has a web site that
details when a permit is needed:

-----
Any residential non-structural project valued under $1,500 does not require
a building permit. However, mechanical (heating, ventilating) and plumbing
alterations or additions require a permit from the first dollar of value.
Just because a permit may not be needed for your project, there are still
minimum standards of quality which apply. For example, if you replace your
old windows with new double or triple-glazed windows, you will not need a
building permit as long as the value of the project doesn't exceed $1,500
and there are no structural changes to the residence. However, the windows
and installation must still meet energy code requirements for new window
installations. If you are employing a contractor to build your project,
you'll need to include the contractor's charges when determining whether or
not you meet the $1,500 threshold.

Building permits are not required for the construction or alteration of
agricultural buildings. However, mechanical (heating, ventilating) and
plumbing alterations or additions require a permit from the first dollar of
value. To qualify as an agricultural building, the use of the structure
must be limited to storage of feed, agricultural equipment such as
tractors, and the housing of animals. If you park your recreational vehicle
or personal vehicles in the building, it no longer qualifies as an
agricultural building. While permits are not needed for these buildings,
there are still zoning regulations which require a minimum distance from
the building to the property line and other structures. In most cases,
setback standards for agricultural buildings are greater than setbacks for
garages and houses. You should call or visit the county Development
Services Division to obtain setback information prior to starting your
agricultural building project.
-----