mm

Default Do you ever not bother with permits?

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 11:31:49 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
What would you do if you were just building a deck, the same size all
the neighbors' new ones are, 12'x12', two feet off the ground, and you
were expanding the basement with a new 12x12 room right under the
deck?

Permit or no?

Where do you live and how close are the neighbors? Too visible and big

I live in a townhouse at the end of one building that has 8
townhouses, in the near suburbs..

You're saying they might turn me in for the deck alone! Everyone but
me has gotten a new deck, and I don't think they will think of that.

The HOA approved my new deck, although that was before the new
neighbors moved in. But it's the same side as theirs, and I don't see
a problem.

But I'm probably going to have someone pour the basement walls, or at
least I'll have to rent an excavator. Again I think my neighbors mind
their own business, but who knows.

I guess I am going to have the concrete delivered. People will
notice, but because there are so many neighbors, everyone will think
someone else is making sure I have a permit.

The work will be up to code.

enough project and easy to get caught in most places, but out in the
country, I'd just do it. . I'd go for the permit in town. OTOH, when I
took down my 10 x 12 deck and put up a 12 x 16, no permit. I just figured it
was a repair.

That seems fair to me. I'm replacing a 12 x 5 deck. I would go to 12
x16, and have a bigger basement room too, except there would be little
left of my back yard.

The new room is just for storage. There won't be any electricity in
it except for a ceiling light and one receptacle.

I wanted to start building this next spring.

Remove NOPSAM to email me. Please let
me know if you have posted also.