Percival P. Cassidy

Default Do you ever not bother with permits?

On 11/03/05 09:22 am The Real Tom tossed the following ingredients into
the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Our township code says only that a permit is required if the job will
cost $200 or more; nothing about needing a licensed person for wiring,
plumbing, or anything else. And, yes, I did search the code (on line)
for the word "electric." When we had a basement window enlarged to
comply with current "egress window" standards, I asked the contractor
about a permit, but he said not to bother.

Well the permit requirements I referred to was a local city, the
little bourgh I live in just required all electrical work be performed
per the accepted NEC.

As for the window resizing, I don't think my little bourgh would
require a permit for that. A little secret I've learned, most permits
might be based on some 'safety' issue, but many towns use it as a mean
to keep track of improvements and raise individual taxes. Oh my I
said it, the secret is out.

Now, anothe thing as a contractor, the permit requirements here have
teh contractor tasked with the responsiblity of obtaining the needed
permits. So, I'm curious why as a home owner you HAD to ask.

I didn't know whose responsibility it was to obtain the permit, so I
asked the contractor, thinking that perhaps *I* would have to get it and
that any permit fee might be in addition to the price I had been quoted
for the job.

Perce