DoN. Nichols

Default Cutting "square" holes in sheet metal?

According to Stephen Young :
Grant Erwin wrote:
wrote:

How would I go about cutting small 1/4 inch square holes in 10 gauge
sheet metal?

If I had to do 2 or 3 holes, I'd drill them undersize and file them. If
I had to do hundreds and hundreds, I'd invest in a square hole punch and
die for a Whitney hand punch. In between? ..

GWE

A Whitney hand punch for 10 gauge!?!?!

And keeping a square punch and die aligned? I've only seen
round punches for the Whitney. (Though I would be glad to learn of the
ability to do square and other shapes.)

In the meanwhile -- what *I* would use would be a 1/4" square
broach -- which I already have. However, note that the pilot hole is a
little over 1/4" for that, so the sides of the hole will have a slight
scallop on each side. I would use an arbor press to drive the broach,
and would use a drill press to make the pilot holes, unless the location
was quite critical.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |