John Willis

Default Do you ever not bother with permits?

On 1 Nov 2005 22:31:32 -0800, "dean" scribbled
this interesting note:

Like (for example):

When adding a single new circuit.
When installing a generator back-up switch.
Installing a chimney liner.

I mean, I'm all for code and everything, but it is a pain and it is
very slow, and requires a day off to wait for the inspector...

-Dean

We live in North Texas (the DFW area). One of my parent's rent houses
had a fire in a corner bedroom (16 year old girl, unsupervised,
lighting a candle and then talking on the phone. Match not
extinguished and dropped on bed...) Extensive smoke damage and water
damage. We did our homework. We talked with Building Inspections. We
were told we didn't need any permits. So we gutted the home down to
the studs in the walls, did the work to code, and now the interior of
that home, which was originally built in the 1950s, is now only a few
years old. No permits required, except possibly for the electrical
work, but I'm uncertain about that as we hired that job out.

--
John Willis

(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)