lukeo

Default Do you ever not bother with permits?

Here is an example for you (a little off-topic but related):

I had an early college job (a long time ago) assisting in the
installation of business telephone systems. This involved running lots
of cable. We had permits to run cable.

We were running cable in a crawlspace above a parking garage that was
underneath the business. An inspector came around and looked at our
cable and said we needed to run plenum cable since this was also an
air space (fair enough). So the job got shut down while a flurry of
phone calls were made.

About an hour later (after we heard the property owner called someone
in the city inspectors office - perhaps even higher up) the problem
went away along with the inspector. Work continued on. Somehow someone
changed the classification of that crawlspace so we could continue on.

Now... who was right? Us or the inspector? Or who pays the taxes?

The moral he Permit or no permit you can still bend the rules if
you know the rule makers.

On 1 Nov 2005 22:31:32 -0800, "dean" wrote:

Like (for example):

When adding a single new circuit.
When installing a generator back-up switch.
Installing a chimney liner.

I mean, I'm all for code and everything, but it is a pain and it is
very slow, and requires a day off to wait for the inspector...

-Dean