Christopher Tidy

Default Found something weird inside my saw

Anthony wrote:
Christopher Tidy wrote in
:

It was resting on top of the vice screw behind the fixed jaw, so it
didn't affect the operation of the vice. The question is, what is it?
To me it looks like a fluteless thread forming tap, but it's double
ended and the threaded sections aren't tapered, so I'm puzzled. It's 5
1/2" long, 1 1/8" diameter at the small end and 1 1/2" diameter at the
large end. Both screw threads are right handed and it says "T22 HF" on
the large end.

Any idea what it is?

Chris,
Is your vice the type with a swivel head? Is there a tapped hole in a
swivel on the back of it, and maybe one in a swivel on the fixed portion
directly behind the one in the moveable piece (or a place for one)?
Reason I asked, I have seen bandsaw/powerhack vices with one of these
type of deals to adjust/set the angle of the vice plate. (Most use a
bolt instead.)

Mine is a swivel vice, but it is the more common kind which uses a bolt
as you suggest. I'm doubtful that this is a component of the saw at all.

Best wishes,

Chris