SteveB

Default Do you ever not bother with permits?

Yesterday, I saw the new neighbor draining his hot water heater. He had
just bought the house. I went over and asked what was up. He said his hot
water heater went out. He has owned the house for only a month.

He got the house warranty. The installer said that it would cost him $45
service call, and that he needed to replace the supply lines, install
earthquake straps (we live in Las Vegas) and put a catch pan under the new
heater. He also said that it would require a permit, that he would get it,
and that would be $150. Total out of pocket expense not covered by the
warranty: $650. He told the man to get off his property.

He called the insurance agent who called the warranty company. They sent
another installer who did the job for $45 out of pocket expense.

You don't always need a permit. I have done major work on my properties. I
know people with experience who know codes. The work is always done to
code, and I'll be damned if I am going to go and pay to do work on my own
property. And then wait on inspectors.

And don't give me that crap about having to have permits to sell. The man
who sold the house across the street did a lot of the work himself without
permits, did horrible work, and still sold the house. In today's market,
the seller is in the driver's seat.

STeve