Edwin Pawlowski

Default Crack in chimney top...

"dean" wrote in message
ups.com...
High all

My chimney is a masonry chimney made of good quality white bricks
thoughout. At the top is a cement cap, maybe 6 inches think,where its
rounded over into the flue rain guards. That cement top is cracked on
one side, with a gap of maybe 1-2mm for about 1 foot. I was considering
just filling it with either silicone or regular caulking. And tips?
Metal strap required? Ignore it? It doesn't look like its about to
crumble or anything.

When water gets in and freezes, it will make the crack worse. Just fill the
gap with anything that will last such as the silicone caulk and you will be
OK.