Default New sink nightmare

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 00:08:30 GMT, in misc.consumers.house Andy Hill

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 22:48:22 GMT, in misc.consumers.house Andy Hill
wrote:

Sounds like the old countertop has been screwed up by the water leakage, so even
the old sink isn't going to fit right. Great fun.

No it's not that bad.

OK then. If you can live with countertop damage, then it's either reinstall the
old sink or track down a sink that will actually fit the hole. Heck, maybe you
can track down one that's a bit larger than the current hole, and you can chop
out the damaged countertop while enlarging the hole for the sink. Pick yer
poison.

I wouldn't try using caulk as a wide gap filler. That just ain't what it's
made for.

Thanks,

I'm going to go ahead and replace the counter top.. it's tired and old anyway.

I got the plumber to agree to take the sink out and put it back into the new
countertop (after I get it redone) for no extra charge.

I really hate the old sink.. it's really shallow, harvest gold colored enamel.
It had a flange going around it that crud could get under and seemed very
unsanitary. But it turns out the flange was hiding the fact that the hole in
the countertop was cut too big back in 1973.

The Plumber says sinks come in standard sizes and I would have to get one
custom made but that sounds more expensive then getting a new countertop.. I was
planning / hoping to replace it someday anyway...

The gap was tiny, only a few millimeters and I think that's why the plumber
thought he could get away with it. But now it looks much bigger because water
has swollen that section of the countertop but it shinks in size when it gets a
chance to dry out.

The plumber has re caulked the counter for now.

Now to find someone to install a new countertop. Hopefully it can be done
without a huge fiasco!