Charlie Bress

Default Noisy Sony Receiver STR-D711

This receiver is used in my entertainment system.
Recently the TV audio has been crackling.
This seems to affect the left audio primarily, but I wouldn't swear to it.
It was plugged into the Video2 channel
I moved the TV audio to Video1 and all seems OK.
The other boxes plugged in are a CD player and a Cassette player.
These as well as the receiver itself are OK. The VCR/DVD player gets to the
receiver by way of the TV.

What is in the input circuits of this receiver?
Are they all discrete components?
This receiver is about a 1993 (looking at the publish date on the manual).
I have no scope or audio generator to troubleshoot with. It would be replace
something and see if that fixed it. Crude but doable.

What is the best course of action?
I could take it to the local repair shop. The guy is good, but it will be at
least a week before I get it back. If I can pull it off myself it might just
take an afternoon.

Charlie