Charlie Bress

Default Noisy Sony Receiver STR-D711

This receiver is used in my entertainment system.
Recently the TV audio has been crackling.
This seems to affect the left audio primarily, but I wouldn't swear to it.
It was plugged into the Video2 channel
I moved the TV audio to Video1 and all seems OK.
The other boxes plugged in are a CD player and a Cassette player.
These as well as the receiver itself are OK. The VCR/DVD player gets to the
receiver by way of the TV.

What is in the input circuits of this receiver?
Are they all discrete components?
This receiver is about a 1993 (looking at the publish date on the manual).
I have no scope or audio generator to troubleshoot with. It would be replace
something and see if that fixed it. Crude but doable.

What is the best course of action?
I could take it to the local repair shop. The guy is good, but it will be at
least a week before I get it back. If I can pull it off myself it might just
take an afternoon.

Charlie

Skype_man

Good old receiver. Just try a "clean" input like a
cd player into the "bad input" which is Video 2.
Just may need to solder the Video 2 input connectors.
Sky.

jakdedert

Skype_man wrote:
Good old receiver. Just try a "clean" input like a
cd player into the "bad input" which is Video 2.
Just may need to solder the Video 2 input connectors.
Sky.

It's possible that you 'fixed' it when you pulled the cable and
replugged it. If you haven't done so already, try it back in the vid 1
input. Possible some corrosion had built up on the connector. If not,
the above is probable.

jak