Greg G.

Default Initial review of the Delta Left Tilt Unisaw w 50" Beismeyer - refurb - (LONG)

LRod said:

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 04:03:53 -0500, Greg wrote:

What appears to be a magnetic switch, but they just HAVE to call it
a GPE switch - or is it a LVC? Darned acronyms.

Gary Parks Enterprises. He was the OEM supplier for a while for Delta.
He also makes the Furnas type, Off-On switches such as on the bandsaw
and jointer (DJ20).

Well, that is interesting. It tried to figure out what the heck GPE
stood for, but there was no way I could get magnetic, or shutoff, or
power fail, or relay out of GPE.

He had some seconds for sale on ebay a couple of months ago and I
bought one identical to the one on my Uni. I'm not sure of all the
lingo regarding switches, but he needed to know the FLA of my motor
(that I was buying the switch for) to put the correct overload relay
in. Does that make it magnetic? If so, then it is.

I believe it is, it's a fancy name for a latching relay in a box. Some
of the better units sense current draw and shut off in case of
overload. I've not dissected this one to determine it's features.

We had a couple of very nice email exchanges. You might check ebay to
see if he still has the Furnas type switches--they're perfect for
router tables or to replace any cheesy switches on other cheap gear.

I have a really cheesy, failed Chinese switch on a Delta Drill Press.
I'll check it out.

You will like the switch on the Uni. Just as you suggest, it is easy
to hit with your knee, in fact that is how I always turn it off.
Should be a good practice for the eventuality that might require an
automatic response on my part.

Cutting large sheet goods often demands alternate means of shutoff.
I built a foot pedal for my other saw, but decided it was not such a
good idea and removed it - even though there was an alternate shutoff
as well - for blade changes and end of day power down. Hip shutdown
should work fine, I'm not certain my knee would reach it.

Thanks,

Greg G.