Greg G.

Default Initial review of the Delta Left Tilt Unisaw w 50" Beismeyer - refurb - (LONG)

joe2 said:

Greg - so, was the $250 savings worth (a) a peen’d motor spindle, (b) a
wonky tilt adjustment shaft, (c) no birth certificate (serial number),
(d) your 10-mile drive, (e) you having to unload and move around that
critter, (f) photocopy of a manual, and (g) no parts diagram? You were
told in your other thread you could get the same saw, BRAND NEW, with
the ext table and mobile base, delivered to your shop for only $250
more.

Well, to begin with, the price difference more like $300. There is no
mobile base included with either saw, I don't believe the saw they are
selling is the same saw, they are the older 36-830A, and your quote
doesn't include a portion of the packing/delivery charges (They are
giving you the heavy freight surcharge) or the time and aggravation of
shipping problems. (Although it now appears I didn't come out too well
on that aspect either.)

And after searching their site for 5 minutes or so, I never found a
physical address for this company - which leads me to believe they are
a drop shipper. Which means that the product could come from any one
of dozens of vendors anywhere in the US. - with the associated
problems of varying dealer competence. I'd order a measuring tape or
something to check out their service before I would blindly order a
product of this size from an unfamiliar web site.

And as I stated before, I tend to prefer doing business with local
vendors - I like my neighbors to eat. Not some unknown halfway across
the country. Perhaps that comes off as old-school, but I grew up in a
different era - when people gave a **** about their neighbors, rather
than the Chinese or Koreans.

So, was it worth it?
Probably - they have alread called and offer a new saw.
Hauling it around? That part sucks no matter what the consequences.

As for the self-righteous tone - it sucks as well. :-)

Greg G.