Greg G.

Default Initial review of the Delta Left Tilt Unisaw w 50" Beismeyer - refurb - (LONG)

joe2 said:

Don’t know where you are located but if you are in California there is
some good news. Didn’t look like it form your pics. California

No, don't live in California - about as far from it as you can get.
Although we do visit there several times a year.
We live in a backwards Southern US red state.
You know, the one that has that idiot, Newt Gingrich, in it.
Not many consumer laws to speak of at all.
The plutocrats pretty much run things around here.

And haven't had time to talk to the dealer, scrub it off, or much of
anything else, other that open it up.
Work and trick-or-treaters ya know.

And I REALLY would prefer to fix it myself. I enjoy that sort of
thing. I don't want a Delta rep or anyone else doing it.
I simply don't trust them. Mechanics are animals in this part of the
world. Too many people worried more about slap it out, not quality.
Would you want someone else to service your old lady?

I believe that if I can overhaul an 8 cylinder, dual overhead cam,
Mercedes engines, Ford 4 speed auto transmissions, or repair
Tektronics 100mhz 4 ch. military oscilloscopes, I think I can handle
some silly ass table saw.

Greg - so, was the $250 savings worth (a) a peen’d motor spindle, (b) a
wonky tilt adjustment shaft, (c) no birth certificate (serial number),
(d) your 10-mile drive, (e) you having to unload and move around that
critter, (f) photocopy of a manual, and (g) no parts diagram? You were
told in your other thread you could get the same saw, BRAND NEW, with
the ext table and mobile base, delivered to your shop for only $250
more.

There are many reasons I chose to buy locally. I prefer to buy
locally, for the same reasons I prefer to not to buy Chinese stuff.

AND, I can't get a UPS package delivered 50% of the time without the
box being crushed. I wasn't EVEN going to take the chance of having a
500lb saw delivered in one piece by some third rate freight company.

Hey, look at the trouble a dealer has in getting a truck full of them
delivered one piece - what chance do you think I stand.

So, to answer you're question. I don't know yet. The fat lady hasn't
sung.

In your pic #9 – I don’t have a clue what that weird-assed bracket is.
I have the same saw, just checked, nothing similar to it anywhere in
mine.

In the store, it looked like a dust deflector.
On mine, it may have been assembled improperly, it interferes with the
blade.

Btw, very nice shop you've put together.

Thanks. It sort of works for me, but there are too many darned doors.

Greg G.