Proctologically Violated©®

Default Funny lathe machining problem....

Awl--

I'm sure I can "solve" this by being more vigilant, but that it happens at
all seems sort of strange.

Briefly, I'm drilling a 3/16 hole 3/4" deep in 1/4" round brass: face,
c-drill, then a 3/16 drill (tailstock/drill chuck, 5C collets).
Then, I'm turning down a piece of 1/4" round brass to 3/16" OD, for about a
3/8" insertion into the other piece w/ the 3/16 hole, for a "nice" fit.
Using a live center.
Have DRO, Aloris tooling, good for half a thou, I'm pretty sure--at least
the DRO says so!

Problem is, the 3/16 OD pc gets in only about half way before it hits some
kind of "step"!!!
To achieve the full 3/8" insertion, the fit winds up being far too sloppy!
Still works, but annoys the hell out of me.

Seems like a simple no-brainer, and I'm sure I could solve it w/ sequential
drill sizes, reaming, etc., but it doesn't seem to me like this should be
necessary, as there is nothing complicated or exotic here.

I would have anticipated any other type of problem--holes too big, holes too
small, ragged/jagged sides, holes off-center, etc.
But an invisible step??

Any idears?
Mebbe on my next have-at-it here, I'll test the female portion w/ a 3/16"
dowel, to at least try to identify the offending piece/operation.
It's pretty clear what the problem is (diameters!), but puzzling as to *why*
this problem is occuring.

TIA.
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll