John White

Default Fitting a dimmer switch to a floor lamp - No Earth

On 1 Nov 2005 06:21:46 -0800, wrote:

Thanks for all the responses by the way -- very good of you.

No problem

So from this, we are saying that it won't have been the dimmer switch
that went bang, but the actual transformer in the lamp, meaning the
lamp is now knackered?

Well it could be either or both, it's a bit hard to be certain without
actually seeing them.

So whats my plan of action? There are ten bulbs, each labelled 12V10W,
so what transformer should I replace it with in order to

(a) allow the lights to work
(b) ensure we dont get any more load bangs
(c) be able to fit a dimmer switch

You need a replacement transformer:
- with an output of 12 V (either AC or DC)
- with a maximum load of at least 100 W (e.g. 120 W)
- with a minimum load of less than 100 W (e.g. 50 W)
- that is labeled as suitable for use with dimmers.

Such as:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LTYT105.html

You also need a dimmer switch that is labeled as suitable for use with
low voltage lights, and which has a rating of at least 100 W.

You may find it difficult to get an in-line dimmer that is suitable.

John
--
John White
SCA Electrical, Manchester http://www.scaelectrical.co.uk/