Andy Hall

Default New elec regs - my questionnaire!

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 12:30:46 +0100, dave wrote:

I seen a few posts recently that mention a change I the law relating to who is
allowed to install/test (domestic) electrical wiring.

As I am many years out of date with much of today's regs could someone please
reply respond these queries:

Is there indeed a change in the law coming up? When?

Potentially next April unless something (hopefully) bad happens to the
government in the meantime.

If so, just who will be legally allowed to do the work?

Anybody will be allowed to do the work - BUTmembers of NICEIC will be
able to self certify compliance with a proposed new part P to the
Building Regulations. Other mortals will have to execute a building
notice at their local authority building control department, which
will carry a fee. That will apply to other professionals carrying out
electrical work or to DIY.

What qualifications (and or level experience) are to be accepted?

Is such a person required to provided to the customer, documentation indicating
the work has be carried out to ? specification? If so I guess the installer
*has* to have third party insurance.

Take a look at the ODPM and NICEIC web sites for full details.

I've also heard on TV news that house sellers will be required to provide a
cert. to the buyer to say that the house has been "tested" or in some way
complies with the regs.
a) What regs?

In effect BS7671.

b) Seller pays?

Almost certainly, but then it will be reflected in prices.

c) Much work for "testers" = good? Bad for unqualified but well-experienced
people = much friction?

I suspect much ignoring and unenforcability, therefore pointless.

d) Views on how this may pan-out - will it be watered down so many existing
unqualified people with elec. business will be still be able to continue their
work?

I think that BCOs are going to love it.

A personal bit OT:
I qualified back in the good old days of 1975. (5 year apprentice served and
CGLI Full Tech Cert.). I've been thinking about returning to doing electrical
work - maybe part-time. My training was in heavy industrial
electrics/electronics but included little domestic work - although I have done
some. I have the On-Site guild and most of that seems clear enough (apart from
the fun and games with the inevitable earthing arrangements :-) . No doubt my
qualifications will be completely usless today, but I wonder, does it mean I
shall have to re-qualify in order to begin domestic electrical installation
work?

What publications and courses should I be looking at?

Look at the NICEIC web site. They are operating the closed shop on
behalf of Napoleon Prescott.

(Aside: I have a degree in elec. eng. but that probably too is irrelevant to
performing legally certified domestic installations with this latest
legislation?)

Anyone living in the Nottingham area interested in maybe teaming up? Must not be
afraid of hard work, honest, conscientious GSOH and have own tools (no rip-off
artists or cowboys need apply :-) )

Many thanks

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl