Mike O'Donnell

Default Kenmore Electric Dryers == JUNK???

I've got a Kenmore electric dryer (110.xxxx model) that we've had for 17
years. During that time I've put in about $50 worth of parts (belts,
seals, rollers) it's running as good as new.
There's a lot of info on the web on dryer repair. As someone else posted,
this model is basically a Whirpool unit; they're pretty common and there's
not a whole lot to them. Sears's parts web site gives some pretty decent
diagrams and part lists, too.

Incidentally, the washer I purchased at the same time is working fine, too.
When they finally quit, Kenmore will be high on my list for a replacement.

- Mike O.

"mikegi" wrote in message
In March 2004, our Kenmore Electric Dryer (model #110-66912690), purchased
in 1996, stopped heating. Repairman replaced the heating element. A few
months later the dryer wouldn't work at all, possibly due to a door switch
or some other problem. We decided to buy an new one rather than have
another expensive repair. We decided to buy the exact same model figuring
that the old one falling apart was just a fluke.

Unfortunately, we were wrong. Our new Kenmore Electric dryer suddenly
stopped heating last week. It spins fine, just no heat at all. Now, I have
to admit that I'm impressed with Sears/Kenmore's engineers. This new model
failed as soon after the warranty as you could reasonably expect: 4
months. It must be difficult to manufacture a product with a lifetime
tuned so well to the warranty. But enough conspiracy theory...

I took off the front bottom panel and tested the heating element with a
ohmmeter. It measured around 8-10 ohms. I assume that means the element
isn't broken. I flipped the house breaker, checked the ducts, no luck. So,
it must be some other piece of the puzzle.

Does anyone have any ideas on easy things to check on this particular
model?

Thanks,
Mike

PS. I lodged a complaint with Sears online on Oct 25 and they said someone
would get back to me in 48 hours. Another misrepresentation from my
friends at Sears. I guess the thousands of dollars I've spent there on
appliances means nothing. If I'm ever asked, I'll tell people I know to
avoid Sears at all cost.