Pete Keillor

Default Tungsten electrodes for armor piercing bullets

For Gunner's question, when the velocity's too high, the bullet
disintegrates too quickly. At lower velocities, it hangs together and
penetrates.

Pete Keillor

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 19:54:59 -0600, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

Physics.

Consider the arc from the end of the rifle to the target.
The close one is where the bullet is flying flat.
The far one is where the bullet is diving to the ground. Gravity assist.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 22:16:39 -0600, Jon Elson
wrote:

Ignoramus26744 wrote:

This is purely an idle question. I have no interest in doing this, for
many reasons. The main reason is that 7mm rem mag is armor piercing
even if bullets are made from dung. Anyway. I have some 4.8mm (3/16)
tungsten electrodes (lanthanated). I could, conceivably, cast some
bullets for a 7mm rem mag rifle with the electrode pieces inside, that
would be quite armor piercing. Would they go through, say, 1 inch
thick mild steel plate, assuming propellant loads that are safe for
the rifle?

I'm no expert on armor at all. But, ONE INCH? Have you seen what the
Army and Air Force use for armor piercing ammo? Like the 30 mm rounds
for the A-10? These things weigh a whole POUND each, and are
SOLID U-238 (both hard and heavy as hell!) The armor they are trying
to pierce is about that thick, as far as I know. A tank couldn't
possibly have steel armor too much more than an inch thick, or it would
be too heavy to move.

Jon

LOL...Ah Jon? A 3006 will just about punch an inch of CRS at 100 yrds

Tank armor used to be T1 plate..many inches thick, and the glacis
plates..feet thick.

Now its composit armor, various layers of ceramic, kevlar, aluminum
and steel. Google "Cobham armor"

And there are dead spaces between some of the layers to help break up
the flame front jet from shaped charges.

Ive got a set of standard 3/4" HRS plates that I hang from chains for
gongs and I have to weld them up or replace them every couple years.
Standard 308 FMJ will penetrate fully a half inch at 400 yrds and a
smidge more at 500 yrds. Can you tell me why it penetrates less at
closer ranges? G

Which will shoot though a standard stop sign..a 22 rifle or a 22
pistol, both shooting the same cartridge and at the same 25ft range??
(shooting stop signs is NOT recommened btw)

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner