Tom

Default Tungsten electrodes for armor piercing bullets

Gunner Asch wrote:

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 18:17:37 +0000 (UTC), Christopher Tidy
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 22:16:39 -0600, Jon Elson
wrote:

Ignoramus26744 wrote:

This is purely an idle question. I have no interest in doing this, for
many reasons. The main reason is that 7mm rem mag is armor piercing
even if bullets are made from dung. Anyway. I have some 4.8mm (3/16)
tungsten electrodes (lanthanated). I could, conceivably, cast some
bullets for a 7mm rem mag rifle with the electrode pieces inside, that
would be quite armor piercing. Would they go through, say, 1 inch
thick mild steel plate, assuming propellant loads that are safe for
the rifle?

I'm no expert on armor at all. But, ONE INCH? Have you seen what the
Army and Air Force use for armor piercing ammo? Like the 30 mm rounds
for the A-10? These things weigh a whole POUND each, and are
SOLID U-238 (both hard and heavy as hell!) The armor they are trying
to pierce is about that thick, as far as I know. A tank couldn't
possibly have steel armor too much more than an inch thick, or it would
be too heavy to move.

Jon

LOL...Ah Jon? A 3006 will just about punch an inch of CRS at 100 yrds

3006 ammunition is 7.62 mm calibre, isn't it? I don't know much about
guns, but I do recall that the armour used on the famous "Pig" trucks in
Northern Ireland was a little under an inch thick, and this was regarded
as being adequate protection against the armour piercing 7.62 mm rounds
available to the IRA in the 1970s. Now it was definitely welded steel
armour, but it may not have been mild steel, and I'm not sure of the
range at which it offered protection, but the British Army found that it
did the job.

The diameter of the bullet is 7.62, indeed, but its NOT the same as
the CARTRIDGE designated as the 7.62 x51, which is what the FN-FAL
fired..the basiclly equivelent of our 308 Winchester......

I don't think so, that is the bore of the barrel..

Gunner

Tom