R. O'Brian

Default Tungsten electrodes for armor piercing bullets

"Don Bruder" wrote in message
In article ,
Ignoramus8862 wrote:

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 04:59:13 -0800, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di
wrote:
On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 22:16:39 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Jon
Elson quickly quoth:

Ignoramus26744 wrote:
This is purely an idle question. I have no interest in doing this,
for
many reasons. The main reason is that 7mm rem mag is armor piercing
even if bullets are made from dung. Anyway. I have some 4.8mm (3/16)
tungsten electrodes (lanthanated). I could, conceivably, cast some

(Ig, you meant to say "_Someone_ could, conceivably, cast...", right?)

I could double check, but it is my recollection that possessing AP
bullets is not illegal, at least in the US in general. High power
rifles, such as 7mm Rem Mag, give their bullets so much energy that
pretty much any bullets from these rifles can go through pretty much
all "bulletproof" vests. A vest that could stop a bullet of this
nature would not be practical to carry.

That's true for almost rifles of roughly that size - .30-06, .308, 7mm
mag, and god-only-knows how many others. Basically anything that size is
going to fit in the category "armor piercing" when loaded with plain old
off-the-shelf deer bullets.

When I asked a cop I know (who, at the time, was bragging about his
spiffy new state-of-the-art, top-of-the-line vest - "This sucker will
stop damn near anything!") "So, if it's so great and protects so well,
what happens if I point my .30-06 at you and pull the trigger?", he
flinched a bit, then in a very matter-of-fact tone replied "Well, I'm
probably gonna drop like a steer in a slaughterhouse, then quietly lay
there and bleed to death - assuming I'm not already dead before I hit
the ground."

Oddly enough, I haven't heard him say diddly-squat about his
ever-so-strong vest since...

--
Don Bruder - - If your "From:" address isn't on my
whitelist,

I have read that almost any shotgun load, even with small shot, will
penetrate the common police dept. vest at close range when the shot is still
in a ball.

Randy