Tim Killian

Default Compact Fluorescent light bulbs?

Michael Daly wrote:
On 30-Oct-2005, "TKM" wrote:

Energy Star approved CFL fixtures require that the proper CFL lamp now be
packed with the fixture. Maybe by the time that lamp burns out, (typically
10,000 hours) pin-base CFLs will be easier to find.

I know that you can get almost any pin-type CFL (including some really bright
ones like equivalent to 150W incandescent) at electrical suppliers (those that
usually deal with contractors and large-building maintenance companies). But
it's a lot easier to deal with the more common big-box reno stores.

It's about time that we can get fixtures specifically designed for CFLs. I've
been annoyed for years that many standard fixtures don't fit the screw-in CFLs
very well - they either assume the base is small close to the threaded part
and don't clear the ballast or don't provide clearance for taller CFLs.

Mike

I just replaced one of those "7-year" CFL bulbs (44W). It failed after
only 18 months, but what the heck, I only paid $2 for it at one of HD's
sidewalk sales. Out of curiosity, I pulled the base apart to see what
the Chinese put into these things. There were eight, hand-soldered wires
from the four tubes that ended on a round electronic ballast circuit
board. The board has four coils/transformers, nine capacitors, a few
resistors, and two transistors. All of the components were average
quality, and I can see now why these ballasts fail at high temperatures.
These parts were never intended for use at extreme temperatures, and
even a little moisture from condensation would short something out if
the lamp were started cold.

It would make sense to put more money into the quality of the ballast
electronics and use pin-type, replaceable lamps instead of the
throw-away crappola currently used in the screw-base CFL bulbs.