Michael Daly

Default Compact Fluorescent light bulbs?

On 30-Oct-2005, "TKM" wrote:

Energy Star approved CFL fixtures require that the proper CFL lamp now be
packed with the fixture. Maybe by the time that lamp burns out, (typically
10,000 hours) pin-base CFLs will be easier to find.

I know that you can get almost any pin-type CFL (including some really bright
ones like equivalent to 150W incandescent) at electrical suppliers (those that
usually deal with contractors and large-building maintenance companies). But
it's a lot easier to deal with the more common big-box reno stores.

It's about time that we can get fixtures specifically designed for CFLs. I've
been annoyed for years that many standard fixtures don't fit the screw-in CFLs
very well - they either assume the base is small close to the threaded part
and don't clear the ballast or don't provide clearance for taller CFLs.

Mike