Peter Lynch

Default Any DIYer's here done Part P course ? Is it worth it ?

On 2005-10-30, Peter Parry wrote:
On 29 Oct 2005 20:11:14 -0700, "
wrote:

In short, can a diyer do a course that would allow me to be 'a
competent person' considering I've no other electical qualifications at
all ?

No. Part P has little or nothing to do with competence. It is
mainly a bureaucratic procedure designed to put one man companies
out of business as Mr Brown thinks they find it too easy to evade his
nice taxes.

No matter how competent you might be your company must be a member of
an "approved scheme", cost of this starts at about GBP700 I believe.
It is the company, not the individual, which is registered (in the
case of a sole trader they are the same of course) and which has to
pay the annual fees.

You therefore have a situation where a vastly experienced and well
qualified commercial electrician is not allowed to move a socket in
his kitchen but a spotty yoof with no experience, no qualification
and minimal training can be employed to do it for him so long as said
yoof works for an accredited company.

OK, I get the part about the _company_ being accredited and it's
employees can know bugger all about electrics ..... So, where can
I find an acredited company who'll "recruit" me so I can then work
for free on my home wiring?

--
.. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .