Frank Boettcher

Default Refurbished Unisaws

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 11:58:27 -0400, Greg wrote:

Frank Boettcher said:

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 09:38:47 -0400, Greg wrote:

You don't happen to work for Delta/PC? Tell the truth now... ;-)

Used to. Retired in March. That is the truth.

I thought so... ;-)
That's OK, however. I have a shop full of Delta stuff - along with a
few Jet, and a couple Dewalt pieces. The blue Borg used to carry
Delta, and I bought a fair amount of it there - and at Highland
Hardware. But they have begun to push some horrid house branded stuff
called Tradesman - what a bunch of Bad Chinese Crappola!

My recommendations are based on what I know goes into the saw. Also
based on personal experience that gave me a good view of the processes
used to manufacture chinese based woodworking machinery. The
processes and the reality of their statistical capability.

It IS the classic woodworkers saw. I just fear that Delta is riding
more on their reputation rather than quality these days...
They are most certainly not the only company doing this - it's a tough
marketplace - but I hate to see it happen. Damned bean-counters and
Wall Street driven decision makers are ruining this country. Not to
mention idiot consumers who can't judge quality and shop only for
price.

If you can get a Unisaw at a reasonable price, even refurbished, it is
normally going to be better than a chinese alternative. Most
refurbished Unisaws do not come from dissatisfied customers, but as a
result of minor freight damage, warehouse damage or distributor
resets.

That's what the vendor claimed - Not returned customer units, but
defunct dealer returns. But aren't the newer tables cast in China?

No. The table will either be from a foundry in Swee****er, TN
machined by the fine people in Tupelo, MS, or from a foundry in
Waupaca, WI, machined by a subcontractor in North Alabama. Depending
on the time frame of the machines original manufacture and whether the
table was replaced.

And I would hurry. Trend indicates that at sometime in the future,
all woodworking machinery will come from China. Very sad in IMHO.

Sadly, it's looking that way...
We are losing it to so many other countries.
And when we lose all of our manufacturing capabilities, we lose the
ability to defend our way of life.

JMHO,

Greg G.